Driving Abroad
What you need to know!

If you plan to take your car abroad, there's a few things you need to know, and arrange before leaving the country.
This will ensure you are safe and legal whilst driving abroad.

Always check with your employer if they will allow the vehicle to travel outside the UK and their insurance covers you.

You will require an Authority to Travel letter and VE103.

Please contact us at least 14 days prior to your travel date.

As Fleet Financial is the registered keeper of your vehicle, local authorities will require proof you have our permission to use the vehicle abroad.
There will be a small administration fee for this.

You can call us on 02890 849777 or complete the form below and we will be in contact with you.

Request Authority to Travel

Driving Abroad - Breakdown Recovery

For your peace of mind, all Fleet Financial full maintenance/fleet managed vehicles have access to 24/7 3675 breakdown recovery throughout the UK and Europe.

If you would like to find out more about our breakdown cover, click on the link below.

If you have a non maintenance vehicle with us, please arrange appropriate European breakdown recovery before you travel.



Tips and Guidance

Please remember, it's the drivers’ responsibility to make sure they fully adhere to legal requirements when travelling in a country.
If you're planning to travel abroad with your vehicle, there's a few things you should consider:

  • Have you checked with your employer you can travel abroad with the vehicle and that it's insured?
  • Have you contacted Fleet Financial regarding your 'Authority to Travel' and VE103?
  • Are your driving licence and passport valid?
  • Have you checked your tyres and the general condition of the vehicle?
  • Have you checked the legal requirements for the countries you will be visiting?

Legal Requirements

Certain countries have specific legal requirements regarding the equipment or documentation drivers or vehicles must have.
The AA, our breakdown recovery partners, have a dedicated section on their website, offering you all the help and guidance you require. 
Please take the time to visit this website and fimilarise yourself with the legal requirements.